The Tavern's Cranberry Zinger
Posted: January 23, 2013
Bright and a vitamin boost, the Zinger packs a punch.
In this season of coughs and colds, there's nothing like an infusion of vitamins to give a boost to your system. And what better form for that to take than a cocktail? The Cranberry Zinger, one of the signature drinks at The Tavern, which has made a name for itself and its crave-worthy variety of burgers. The Cranberry Zinger combines ginger-infused vodka, orange, lime and cranberry juice for a perfectly balanced glass of sweetness and tartness. The Tavern infuses its own vodka, as well, which gives this drink even more character, and adds a special grapefruit-mandarin reduction that can be substituted by using orange or citrus marmalade.
- This recipe is by Lori Wyant Selby, the co-owner of The Tavern, Chopinova 26, Prague 2-Vinohrady. No telephone. Thetavern.cz
For the ginger-infused vodka:
175g fresh ginger, chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
3 to 4 cups of Absolut or Stoli vodka
Combine the ingredients, and boil for about an hour.
Strain out the ginger mixture, leaving the syrup. Add this to the vodka and pour into a sealable glass jar.
Let sit for a week, shaking occasionally. Strain out the vodka
For the Cranberry Zinger:
1 (40ml) shot ginger vodka
1 (40ml) shot cranberry juice
1/2 (20ml) shot Bols Triple Sec
1/2 (20ml) shot fresh lime juice
1 heaping tablespoon of grapefruit-mandarin reduction (or orange or citrus marmelade)
1 dash Grenadine
1 slice lime
1 slice orange
Fill a shaker a little more than half with ice.
Pour in ginger vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, triple sec, Grenadine and grapefruit-mandarin mix (or marmalade if using). Shake well.
Pour quickly into a cocktail glass, squeeze in a slice of fresh-cut orange and serve with lime on the rim.
Fiona Gaze can be reached at
- So the worst of me surfaces, 'No go away' I tried to blast my way though cancer ...
- By the end of the day it was clear, I had probably upset people, I accepted that I ...
- Growth in 2012, and all of 2013, has had consistent forecasts of difficult times ...
- Thats dedication, on a miserable Prague grey/black sky, with the sleet pouring ...