- Category: Czech News
- Published: 30 December 2013
- Written by Czech News Agency
- Hits: 3006
Review of major political and cultural events scheduled in the Czech Republic in 2014
1. - New Year's Day
- National holiday - Day of Renewal of Independent Czech State (1993).
- Twenty years elapse since establishment of the independent CzechRepublic.
- New Civil Code takes effect.
- Law on international private law setting down some rules for cross-border disputes takes effect.
- Law on international judiciary cooperation and law on amendments associated with the former legislation take effect.
- Laws enabling state to take swift steps against new drugs take effect.
- The price of electricity for households to fall by about 10.9 percent, regulated part of the price of gas by 5.19 percent.
- Amendment to lottery law takes effect, whereby a part of payments will go directly to the Czech Olympic Committee to sponsor sport.
16. - Memorable day of the Czech Republic: Day of Jan Palach Legacy.
18. - Two-day election congress of the Civic Democratic Party (ODS) starts.
20. - Trial of former defense minister Martin Barták and arms dealer Michal Smrz starts. They face corruption charges over purchase of Tatra lorries for the military.
25. - Election conference of Public Affairs (VV).
27. - Significant day of the Czech Republic - Day of Holocaust Victims Commemoration and of Prevention of Crimes against Humanity. It marks anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz (Oswiecim) concentration camp.
24. - Rector of Prague University of Economics to be elected.
3. - 15th One World international festival of documentaries focusing on human rights starts, runs through March 12.
8. - Significant day of CzechRepublic - International Women's Day.
12. - Significant Day of the CzechRepublic - Day of Czech Accession to NATO (1999).
20. - 20th International film festival Praha Febiofest starts, runs through March 28.
30. - Beginning of summer time.
7. - Significant day of the CzechRepublic - Day of Education (commemorates foundation of Prague university by Emperor Charles IV in 1348).
10. - 20th European Film Days festival starts, to run through April 17.
20. - Easter Sunday.
21. - Easter Monday.
25. - National congress of ČMKOS umbrella trade union, to elect new leadership.
1. - May Day (public holiday).
5. - Significant day of the CzechRepublic - anniversary of May Uprising of Czechs against Nazi occupiers in 1945.
8. - National holiday - Victory Day (commemorates liberation from Nazi regime in 1945.)
11. - Mother's Day.
12. - Prague Spring music festival begins, to run through June 3.
15. - Book World trade fair at Prague-Holešovice Exhibition Grounds opens, to last through May 18.
23. - Two-day election to European Parliament starts.
26. - Ten-year term of office of constitutional judge Stanislav Balík expires.
30. - Start of International Film Festival for Children in Youth in Zlín, to last through June 4.
10. - Significant day of the CzechRepublic - commemorates the razing of Lidice, central Bohemia, to the ground by the Nazis in 1942.
16. - Ten-year term of office of constitutional judge Michaela Židlická expires.
27.- Significant Day of the CzechRepublic - Remembrance Day for Victims of the Communist Regime (marks anniversary of the execution of democratic politician Milada Horáková after a show trial in 1950).
1. - Jiří Fajt takes up post of general director of the National Gallery.
- New director of Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes to take up post.
4. - Karlovy Vary International Film Festival starts, runs through July 12.
5. - National holiday - Day of Slavonic Missionaries Cyril and Methodius (marks anniversary of their arrival in Great Moravia in 863).
6. - National holiday - marks the death anniversary of Czech priest and church reformer Jan Hus (John Huss) who was burnt to death in 1415.
18. - International Music Festival Český Krumlov, south Bohemia, starts, to run through August 16.
25. - SummerFilmSchool starts in Uherské Hradiště, south Moravia, runs through Aug. 2.
No major events scheduled as yet.
4. - Sběratel (Collector) international trade fair of postage stamps starts, to last through Sept. 6.
6. - Two-day show Czech International Air Fest - CIAF starts in Hradec Králové, east Bohemia.
28. National holiday - Day of Czech Statehood
27. - Summer time ends.
28. - National holiday - Day of Establishment of Independent Czechoslovakia (1918).
11. - Significant Day of the CzechRepublic - War Veterans' Day.
17. - National holiday - Day of Struggle for Freedom and Democracy (commemorates student demonstrations against the Nazi occupation in 1939 and against the communist regime in 1989).
24. - Christmas Eve
25. - 26. Christmas holidays
31. - New Year's Eve.